Sunday, May 3, 2015

Feathers.....

Of all the techniques I like to use, decoupage would have to be the one I like the most.  It takes weeks to finish and everything about it is hard on the hands, but I like being able to use something as temporary as paper and make something much more long-lasting.  It also appeals to the hoarder in me, and its hard to use that special image.....that last scrap of precious something.....until its gone, and then I just have to hope I like the way I used it.

This is one of the eggs I finished (there are quite a few awaiting yet another coat of varnish) and its an example of using feathers as decoration.  I think I still have the callouses from cutting these ones out.

The base egg shape is a cardboard one, painted gold and overlaid with paper feathers.  The varnish is oil-based so that it gets deeper with age, and makes the gold glow.  Here's another side of the same egg, with the eye of a peacock feather as the central image.


Its hard to display eggs, and I don't like them sitting up like trophies, so it usually lives in a bowl with a collection of others, not sitting on the mantelpiece in a napkin ring like it is here.

Trip over to Opus Gluei and see what other ways to use the feather image in your work....its out latest challenge.  Please join in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

love to know what you think.......